Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Tender Mercies of the Lord

Although busy with tasks and errands as we prepare for mom’s funeral, being in Winnipeg has been somewhat difficult with reminders of mom’s recent presence all throughout popo's house – clothes draped neatly on chairs, grocery items carefully wrapped and labeled to take home, reminder notes to herself scribbled in permanent marker, and most poignantly, personal effects – glasses, wedding ring, watch – that mom will never wear again.

After receiving a disappointingly inconclusive preliminary autopsy report yesterday, I picked up mom's journal hoping to find some extra clues to why this might have happened. As I leafed through the last few pages, I found no such clues, but noticed that over the days since her arrival to Winnipeg, she'd written of day outings she’d taken with popo, favorite foods she’d enjoyed while here, wonderful friends she’d met at church, and noted each day whether she’d had the opportunity to talk with dad.

Most touchingly, among these descriptions of the daily events of her visit with popo, the last paragraph of her last journal entry was a reflection of her life and the Lord's tender mercies towards her -- the bounty she'd enjoyed, the variety of her experiences, and, above all, her wonderful family – husband, sons, daughters, and grandchildren. “My cup runneth o’er with richness,” she seemed to say, “and my life is abundantly full.” Although lamenting her imperfections, she expressed her fervent, sincere gratitude to the Lord for all the blessings bestowed upon her, not knowing that within the next 24 hours, she would be unexpectedly called home to that God who gives us all life, her final testimony borne, her mission in this life inexplicably complete. And though we who were left behind carry heavy hearts, yet we may rejoice that we were so privileged to have known, loved, and been loved by such an one as my mother. Merciful indeed is our Lord!

8 comments:

the man said...

You've made me at least twice this week now. I'm not so sure you're on my favorite people list anymore... It's both a happy and sad post, thanks for the introspective on mom's final days.

Michelle said...

That is a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing some of her final thoughts with us.

Candice and Nathan said...

Although I didn't know your mom, I can tell she was a wonderful person. How special it was for you and your family that your mother kept a journal. It must be reasurring that she expressed so much gratitude for her life and that she was happy. I'm so sorry for your loss. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. If there is anything we can do for your family we will help.

Brad and Rebecca said...

thanks for the post Clarence. Our family was so sad to hear of the loss of you mother. We love her and the whole Tang clan and our prayers are with you.

Wongs D & MV said...

I agree, a beautiful post. Looking forward to being there next week.

Kevin said...

What a beautiful journal entry that is - makes me realize that I should reflect more on what the Lord has blessed us with, and write about that in my journal for those I leave behind when I leave this sphere.

nana and atom said...

thanks for sharing. That really tugged on my heart. She was a special mom for sure.

Anonymous said...

An expertly written tribute. Candid and eloquent.