Sunday, March 01, 2009

All Grown Up

If mama were still around, I'm sure I would have posted a lot sooner than this, as long before now she would have been emailing and calling to ask what I've been up to lately and bemoaning how quickly I change over the days and weeks she hasn't heard from me! 

You can hardly blame me, though -- I've been busy! After the embarrassment of having to report to my neurologist that I only know 10 or so words, and the humiliating offer of a referral to a speech language pathologist to help me ramp up my speaking, I've been diligently working on picking up more vocabulary, such as "I'm hungry," "Dada? Um..." (a la Isaac), "Help me," "Up," "Bounce," etc. I'm no Ashlyn (who at my age knew all her multiplication tables and square roots to 12), but I'm getting better at making my wishes known!



I'm also taking more opportunities to do things independently, like eating,



And bathing... well, not quite there, but I give it my best shot every once in a while. (If only my short stubby arms could reach above my head!)




One major step forward has been my move to a big boy bed, with a custom-built rail on the side so I don't fall out at night. I didn't know exactly what to do with it when I first got in, but I've since figured out how easy it is to get out whenever I want, and I grace my parents' room with frequent visits through the night -- not usually wanting anything but to be tucked back in bed, but hey, I do like to have the option!

What is it you want me to do in this big thing?

Bounce, anyone?

Oh, this is what you mean!

3 comments:

andrew said...

Go James! He's growing up so fast, it's amazing!

the man said...

Nice custom made frame... J Likey.

P.S. you forgot the fact that Ashlyn knows her division and speaks fluently in a three languages. Mainly english, Dora and My little pony.

Michelle said...

Man, who cares if he talks or not! as long as he still has squishy cheeks to squeeze when I see him next time! plus, there's always sign language you know!