Sunday, March 01, 2009

HandyTang

While we were living in Edmonton, dad finished the whole basement right under my nose, and I, more interested in playing tennis and chasing girls at the time, didn't even lift a finger to help. Neither did any of my other brothers, for that matter, but Michelle, loyal daughter that she is, spent many an hour with my dad, if not exactly helping (besides handing him tools and helping to paint), at least offering him company and moral support.

So, now I'm a homeowner, also with an unfinished basement, and, sadly, lacking much experience in being handy around the house. But, unwilling to let that be an obstacle, a couple of months ago, I made my first attempt at framing a partition wall with a pocket door. A smallish wall, and I'm glad for that, because it still took me all day! Call it my experimental wall, if you will, because I figured that if I could manage the small wall, I would press forward with framing the rest of the basement. So, here you have it, from beginning to end (well, the pictures actually pick up from middle of the project, but, oh well).

Addendum: Crooked framing notwithstanding, I decided to call my first wall a success and have since framed the rest of the basement -- pictures to come later! Now stuck at electricity... will keep you updated!




3 comments:

andrew said...

Nice work Clarence! Yes, I also very much regret not helping out with the basement as much as we could have. Just think of all the things we could have learned! Argh.

Kevin said...

Looks good! Hey, I know how it is to be learning all this stuff from scratch - it takes much longer than expected... If we lived closer together, we could help each other out - electrical work is pretty fun, I think! Just don't electrocute yourself...

Michelle said...

....haha...I'm surprised you didn't call me more about how to make that header above the door. nice job!

...and boys, that is why I am an interior designer now. At least I can tell you the theory of how to build a wall and such, even though I've never actually done it myself. Clare is right, I only handed dad tools really, BUT I was there!