Sunday, March 01, 2009

Merry Christmas! (oh, wait, is it March already?)

Christmas has come and gone (whoa, can't believe I'm talking about Christmas way into March here!) But yes, Christmas, and along with all the good food, yummy candy, travel (to Niagara Falls), and guests (Auntie Nancy, whoo!), we of course got a fair number of presents. Here's my favorite present -- from mama and yeye to Isaac and I.



But the presents haven't stopped flowing yet -- anyone recognize these?



Soon after Christmas, dad found a set of these Encyclopedia Britannica for kids in pristine condition online -- the exact same set that mama got for dad (and his siblings) many years ago. They're long since out of print and now a bit hard to come by, so Dad was pretty excited when he found these! Dad has many fond memories of hours spent sitting in front of the bookshelf jumping from article to article in these books, and I look forward to doing the same. So cool, eh?

Last but not least, we started piano lessons last month. Mr. Weston, my teacher, comes over to my place every Tuesday after school and puts me through my paces. I already knew him before, as he sometimes substitute teaches at Wines Elementary, so that was helpful. I love taking lessons from him! So far, I've learned the treble and bass clefs, how to read C and G above middle C, and F below middle C. I'm just starting on half notes, dotted half notes, and whole notes. Practicing every day gets to be a bit of a chore, but so far it's been very rewarding!

5 comments:

andrew said...

Amazing you keep finding all this great stuff from past years? Where did you come by those kids encyclopedias? I'd love to get a copy of those too!

the man said...

At first I thought you took them from home... then I get a little mad. Then you said Dad found them for you... then I got really mad. I guess I truly am #3... but #1 in his heart! (that's what the losers always say!...)

heather said...

Hey MAN, I think he meant Ethan's dad, seeing as these things are written from the kid's point of view. Am I right? No need to be angry!

#15 said...

and the winner is... heather!

Michelle said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I want some books too! You guys had better take care of those...who knows what they may be worth one day (do you like how my mind works here?)