Sunday, September 13, 2009

"Have You Found China Yet?"

So, looking at this picture, you may wonder why we've accumulated such a extensive pile of dirt at the side of the house over the past two months (and this is only a small portion of it). The simple answer, as I explained to Lilly when she asked me that exact question, is, "Mom told me to."
Here's the hole all that dirt came out of -- dug by hand, shovelful by laborious shovelful, 99% by yours truly (Isaac contributed maybe 2/3% and Ethan maybe another 1/3%). My neighbor, Dave, who has watched me with amusement as I've labored over the weeks, keeps asking me if I've found China yet. Hardy har har.

And the reason why the big hole? I'm finishing the basement, and to make it a bona fide living space, one has to install an egress window. Annie figured, as long as you're going to dig a window well for that egress window, why don't we make a really big window well that'll let in lots of light? And, while you're at it, if you're going to install one egress window, why not two? (More on that in a second.) The red lines below outline the approximate size of the enlarged window (4x4 ft.):

To meet the requirements of an egress window, it has to be a certain size. We picked 4x4 horizontal sliding windows. To install a 4 ft window, one has to dig a hole that's at least a foot deeper for drainage and whatnot, so the hole is 5 ft deep. Because of there'll eventually be two windows installed more or less side by side, I ended up digging one long trench for both of them - 20 ft long. Building codes dictate that the finished window well be at least 3 ft wide at its base, with a ladder or terraced steps built in for easy escape. Annie wants terraces, which I'll get to after the windows are installed. As it is, the walls slope upwards and outwards from 3 ft at the bottom to 6 feet on top, so, an average of 4.5 ft wide. So that makes it a 4.5 x 20 x 5 ft hole, or 450 cubic feet (16 2/3 cubic yards) of packed clay -- of roughly 250 wheelbarrows full of clay. Ouch.

Here are the boys standing in the hole for reference:

The boys wanted pictures of themselves sitting on the edge of the hole -- what fine-looking children! (Isaac was bitten by some kind of insect two days before this photo -- hence the swollen right eyelid.)

Here they are again!

I'll get more photos up when the windows are being installed!

7 comments:

heather said...

I love how Isaac is just singing away as you try to ask questions. I guess the song is fitting though -- "I am a builder working each day...."

Oh, and great answer when asked why. You could teach Jason a thing or two. Just another reason for us to live closer! :)

the man said...

upon reading this, my first reaction "I would never dig a hole like that..." sorry Heather.

Kevin said...

Man, that definitely dwarfs the hole I dug. Aren't you glad we don't live when the Chinese built the railroad? I keep on telling myself that I'm not built for manual labor, yet I keep on finding myself manually laboring. What are you going to do with all that dirt? And what about the grass under that huge pile?

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness, that's as big as me! and I thought the dirt and clay we've been moving around from the side yard to the driveway was a lot (it's probably a cubic yard and a half or so). We've been leveling the side yard for a foundation for a shed. How long did that take you again? Do you think I could get out of the hole? Glad to see you are reading up on the building codes!

what song was Isaac singing? is he taller than ethan?

Annette Bailey said...

Mic, since when are you 20 ft. wide? Do we need to talk about your eating habits? (this is clarence)

Annette Bailey said...

Haha, that was funny! (and it's really Annette this time)

#15 said...

Kev, just realized I never answered your questions -- 1) I don't know -- any bright ideas? 2) It's probably dead now -- what can I say? Sacrifice for the greater good, I guess!

:)