Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"... so help me God."



It's official -- after an hour spent reviewing and signing documents on Monday (Jun 9), I raised my right hand and was sworn in as an Lieutenant in the Navy Dental Corps, followed by a few more signatures (pictured below). It was a neat experience, but like a lot of significant events, the moment passed by so fast, I'm not sure I'll really understand what happened until years from now, when I look back at where it all started! My parents drove all the way out from Maine to be there with us, and I'm very appreciative of their support!


So, next step: Officer Development School in Newport, Rhode Island, where I'll be spending pretty much all of July learning about how and what it means to be an officer in the Navy. Officer Boot Camp, if you will. I just hope I meet the physical fitness standards -- I never was much for pushups and situps!

After the commissioning ceremony, and since we were already in the vicinity, we all went to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI, where we spent a few hours wandering around all the exhibits with the kids. This is Lilly in front of a 1955 Corvette that Annie fell in love with ("Do you think they'd be mad at me if you took a picture of me sitting in the car?").

I'm not a huge car guy, but I have to say I admire her taste!

7 comments:

Kevin said...

Congratulations, Lieutenant! Every time I hear the word, "Navy," I hear & see in my head the Simpsons version of "In the Navy." Thought I'd share that with you.

the man said...

Wow! congratulations, you seemed a bit nervous though. We as Hawaiian Tangs salute you! Good luck in officer training, and good luck calling me on my birthday! :)

Wongs D & MV said...

You can still call me Professor, but I will now call you Lieutenant... or "Leftenant" (why is that anyway?). Cute hair for Lily, by the way.

Valerie said...

Congratulations Lieutenant!!

andrew said...

So do they address you as "Doctor Lieutenant Tang" or "Lieutenant Dr Tang"? :)

Congrats on your new status!

nana and atom said...

well congrats! that is pretty cool. hope you survive boot camp! :)

Michelle said...

Wow...I'll bet that was a bit hard to get through with the squirmy chilluns distracting you from the corner or your eye!

Nice job, Lt! Are you up to 100 pushups yet?